Thursday, December 02, 2004

Having a plan

It's been such an eventful week in the blog-o-sphere what with Julie/Bat, Grrl's double lines, and all the rest. Plus I just found out our friends are pregnant with twins (via IVF). Lots of good - if bittersweet - news. And I'm getting my period. Not that this is unexpected - I've known this cycle was over for a few days now. But there's always that small glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe...

I am relieved, though. This period is all mine - my body made it without any provera intervention, and that's a step in the right direction. We're taking a couple of months off from major medical interventions, and I'm looking forward to being my own crazy self, and not the crazy that is drug induced and out of control.

Which is not to say that we don't have a plan:

1. I'm going to be starting acupuncture with a person who specializes in fertility issues. Since acu is holistic, she'll also work on my allergies and asthma. I haven't even met her in person and I'm looking forward to this - she spent 20 mnutes on the phone with me answering questions and explaining the process, and I wasn't even paying for the time. I don't know the last time I got 20 minutes with any of my doctors, and they charge an arm and a leg anyway.

2. Beginning January 1, or as close to it as I can manage, I'll start working my way through the new HMO. I'll need to start with a visit to my (as yet unchosen) primary care provider, and perhaps an OB/GYN, before getting a referral to the fertility folks. At least I know it's coming - if I thought I could just call and make an appointment with the RE I'd be in for a rude awakening. But this way I have a plan, with intermediate steps.

3. J. had an appointment with the urologist, and they're having him do a follow-up SA, and an ultrasound to check for a varicocele. I really truly hope they don't find anything, but I'm strangely pleased that he has to have an ultrasound. They don't hurt, but I'm usually the one with a dildocam. It's a nice change of pace.

4. I have to go in for one more ultrasound at my current clinic to check that the cyst from the last cycle has gone down. What fun - a CD 2 or 3 ultrasound. Because that sounds incredbly pleasant. Oh well. I guess it'll give me a chance to tell them I'm switching to the HMO's fertility clinic. We'll see how Drs. Y & W take that. (Any bets on whether the next doctor will actually be Dr. X or Z?)

5. We're gong to Disney next weekend, and I don't have to skip the roller coasters. This is definitely a good thing.

So, all in all I'm in a pretty good place. And the glass of red wine I had to celebrate my period probably didn't hurt, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment