Friday, January 14, 2005

Shouldn't they know this stuff?

I had my first visit to the new HMO doctor a couple of days ago - she’s young, and casual (I felt like I should be calling her by her first name, not Dr. A). She wrote me a new prescription for the Glucophage, at a higher dose, and ordered a bunch of lab work. She started to order lab work for diabetes, and I had to clarify that just because I’m on Gluc, doesn’t mean I’m diabetic.

I like her, so far, but I’m really tired of having to educate my doctors. The student health center is always trying to run blood sugar levels for me since they think I’m diabetic. How many times do I have to repeat “I’m not diabetic; I have PCOS and am Insulin Resistant.”

Even more fun was when they’d ask the date of my last period, and I’d say, “oh, two years maybe?” and they’d politely suggest a pregnancy test. Because, you know, being on the pill and not ovulating anyway are really good ways to get knocked up.

1 comment:

  1. I think that is one of the most frustrating things about this whole business--trying to find a doctor who will take your issues as seriously as you do without retreating into a "wow she must be manic" attitude.

    ReplyDelete