Wednesday, May 11, 2005

If I could I would

I don’t usually do these, but since JJ asked so nicely, I’m jumping in! I’m supposed to pick 5 from the following list and complete the sentence. And then I’m supposed to pass it on. (More on that later.)

If I could be a scientist . . .
If I could be a farmer . . .
If I could be a musician . . .
If I could be a doctor . . .
If I could be a painter . . .
If I could be a gardener . . .
If I could be a missionary . . .
If I could be a chef . . .
If I could be an architect . . .
If I could be a linguist . . .
If I could be a psychologist . . .
If I could be a librarian . . .
If I could be an athlete . . .
If I could be a lawyer . . .
If I could be an inn-keeper . . .
If I could be a professor . . .
If I could be a writer . . .
If I could be a llama-rider . . .
If I could be a bonnie pirate . . .
If I could be an astronaut . . .
If I could be a world famous blogger . . .
If I could be a justice on any one court in the world . . .
If I could be married to any current famous political figure . . .

If I could be a professor. . . (since in theory that’s what I’m in training for) I would teach classes on subjects I find so interesting that the students couldn’t help but be fascinated by the material. There’s nothing worse than having to teach material that even I find boring.

If I could be a gardener. . . I would grow yummy veggies and colorful flowers and I’d spend hours outside just working with the plants and the dirt and making friends with the bees and not worrying that there’s something more pressing I should be doing instead.

If I could be an architect . . . I would design comfortable houses designed for real families to live in, with lots of storage and old fashioned details like nooks and window seats and cabinets under the stairs.

If I could be a world famous blogger. . . I’d probably turn down the opportunity. I like the idea of having lots of people reading my blog and commenting and feeling like part of a community, but my desire to keep my identity somewhat private (while sharing the intimate details of my nether regions) and the weird vibe surrounding those big-name bloggers (Dooce, for example) just seems like it might take the fun out of it. However...

If I could be a writer . . . I would love to publish articles written in my blogging voice, instead of my academic voice. I have to turn my comfortable blogging voice off to do legitimate academic work, and then it becomes a chore and frustrating and I think I can’t write anymore - and then I switch to blogging mode and the words tumble out. Not great yet, but certainly more comfortable for me.

Now, about the tagging thing. I’ve always hated chain letters - not so much because I don’t want to participate (though I generally don’t) but because I don’t want to burden people I like with them. But this is way more fun, so maybe there are some takers? I hereby tag anyone who is reading and thinking this seems interesting - especially the folks who have never done a meme (actually, I hadn’t before either, so I’m sure there are tons more!) or anyone trying to take their minds off of waiting or searching for symptoms. Tag - you’re it!

I don’t have trackbacks, so if you do this, let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. But why CAN'T we be gardeners? Huh? Sure beats the heck out of I.T., lemme tell ya.

    Oh, yeah, I forgot--the mortgage. Guess that's why.

    --Bugs

    ReplyDelete